Pages

Tuesday, February 27, 2018

"Amethyst"



Two years ago, when I first moved to the city after five years in the desert the idea of J&H going to an inner city suburban school I think terrified me than them. It was like being in high school again. The mums terrified me in their perfect “pick-up-the-kids-from-school” attire. Their understanding of the ritual of pick up, who was who, what was what. J&H would ask me when I picked them up, “Did you make any friends today?” They were concerned for me as much as I was for them.

Carole, instantly made me giggle, even from afar. She walked at her own pace, sometimes at a run like she only just remembered she had children to pick up; had sneakers as lairy as mine; and a kid called “Wednesday”. Our first conversation went…“Is your name Claire or did I just imagine it cause my mad sister is called Claire? Are you as mad as her?!”. “Yeah probably, but I have to confess, the only reason I can remember yours is Carole because it’s my mums name.”  The friendship was cemented in my mind when I casually said one afternoon, “Cool scarf!”. “Haven’t you heard the story of my gutter scarf!” She laughed and launched into storytelling.

I'm pleased to report, I'm no longer afraid of pickup, I still dress up inappropriately for the occasion (normally I am covered in paint) and Carole and I are finally putting our storytelling on paper.  This is result of  Day 1. Stay tuned for more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment